Sunday, March 21, 2010

Lessons Learned During March Madness

Why is it so easy to let the dishes and laundry pile up during the first two days of the NCAA Tournament and not so easy other times of the year? Maybe it's because I keep telling myself that the Tournament only comes once a year. Or maybe it's because watching the Tournament has been part of every March since I can remember. I'm too old now to trek to Vegas for the first weekend, but I can certainly still enjoy watching it at home. Actually, I would like to think that it's because the A+ in me is learning to let go. Possibly...just a little? Besides the kids' activities and a few errands, not much else got done. And, you know what? The sky did not fall. Anarchy and chaos did not reign. The world was still right-ways up the next morning. Imagine that!

Hopefully what I learned this weekend is that it is perfectly fine...even necessary to take time out for things that I enjoy. In a perfect world, I would set aside time each week to do things that are just for me and my mental health whether it's exercising, writing, or something entirely spontaneous. And in this perfect world, I would stick to my schedule and not let things such as a cluttered and messy house, or the lack of anything to eat for dinner, deter me from my time. But this perfect utopia cannot possibly co-exist with an A+ perfectionist. See my problem? An A+ would prioritize "getting things done" before doing something spontaneous. Or, an A+ might very well enjoy time away from her normal "duties," but coming home to mess and an empty fridge would lead me...I mean her, to declare, "I did not get anything done today!" What to do? Maybe what I will try is to carry a picture, a page out of a magazine, or even a quote with me that reminds me of how happy and content I feel when I take the time to do something for myself. And each time I am tempted to switch into A+ mode I will glance at my photo and think, "The sky will not fall...the sky will not fall." Think it will work? I'll let you know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment