Thursday, March 4, 2010

Directionally Challenged

Finally! What I've known to be true all my life: It's not my fault that I am terrible with directions! It may be in my genes! According to this article posted on msnbc.com with the headline, "Always lost? It may be in your genes,"
"A new study suggests that skillful navigation just may be in your genes."
"We found that people who suffer from the genetic disorder Williams syndrome have trouble reorienting themselves, a basic process that is shared among human children and adults, and a variety of non-human species," Lakusta said. "Our finding that individuals with Williams syndrome show this kind of impairment suggests an important link between genes and the system that is used for reorientation."

Williams
"is caused when a small amount of genetic material is missing from one human chromosome."
Yes, I admit that I am the kind of person that gives directions not by street names or by using phrases such as "the north side of the street," but by phrases such as "turn left at the gas station" or "the brown house with the basketball hoop in the driveway." I can't tell if I am heading north or south while I am driving without the use of a car compass or major (and I mean MAJOR) landmarks such as mountain ranges or the Pacific Ocean. Good thing we live in California! My husband once told me that I was the worst person with directions he has ever met. I thought he was joking, but he assured me he was not.

But now, I realize that I am one of the rare (only 1 in 7,500 people) people suffering from Williams Syndrome. Right? I mean, I must be. Besides, the article also mentions that people afflicted with Williams Syndrome have strong language skills (yes, I do like to talk) and are extremely social (again, yes with the talking!) This has to be me! Wait, does this mean that I can't ask for a GPS for my car now?

0 comments:

Post a Comment