Friday, March 12, 2010

Call a Foul on the Parent!

Considering the number of sports teams we've been a part of so far, we were lucky not to have run into that parent until last weekend. Yep, we witnessed first hand (he was standing right next to us) the stereotypical pushy, hard charging, overbearing parent. And it was extremely disturbing.

The scene was our son's basketball game. He plays in the 7&8 year old division - remember this fact - they are only 7 & 8 year-olds. There is a referee, but he gives the boys a lot of leeway before calling traveling or double-dribble. No one keeps score, you can't start playing defense until half-court...there isn't even any stealing allowed. You get the idea - the boys are supposed to have fun (first goal) and start learning the rules of the game (second goal).

This dad started in on his son right away. My first clue should have been the fact that his son was wearing a mouth guard for crying out loud! Here are some few choice words from the dad:
"Don't let him do that to you! Stop him!"
"OK. You have 8 points so far. Let's try for 14!"
"What are you doing down there? Do not talk to him! Don't stand by him, don't sit by him! Understand me?" Yes, he was yelling at his son even when his son was sitting on the bench.
He was telling his son to play so aggressively that the ref had to tell his son twice during the game, "Hey, you can't shove people like that." If you ask me, that's a good life rule too.

Anyways, you get the idea. I felt so bad for the kid. Nothing he does is ever going to be good enough for his "trying to live the sports life I never was good enough to have through my son" father. I am realistic to know that we'll encounter more of these parents as our kids get older and their games become more competitive. I just wish we didn't have to start so soon. As for me...what do I tell my son during the game? "Try not to grab yourself so much while you're standing on the sidelines, ok?" Isn't that a good life rule too?

0 comments:

Post a Comment