Thursday, January 28, 2010

Hurt Feelings

My four-year-old is out of school today and tomorrow for conferences. Not just any conference...kindergarten readiness conference. Every child who wishes to attend kindergarten at our school undergoes "kindergarten readiness" testing (even ones who are already there attending preschool). It is actually no big deal to the kids. It is not set-up as a test, but more of an unique playtime. One of the things they ask the kids about is your parents' "job."

When my son took his test and was asked what his mommy's job was, he replied, "Her job is taking care of us." Bless his heart!

When I asked my four-year-old, "What did you say mommy's job was?" she replied, "Nothing!"

"What do you mean nothing?" I asked. This was definitely not the answer I was expecting.

"You don't have a job mommy!" Needless to say, I definitely felt slighted and answered indignantly, "What do you mean? My job is taking care of you and your brother!" But, by this time, she had already moved on and was busy telling me about the rest of her day. Somebody please help me pull the knife (put there by my daughter) out of my back!

2 comments:

  1. My 6 year old said to me in shock when he found out that I am no longer working full time, "you mean that daddy is the only one working hard for our family?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. my 7yr son, then 4 1/2 said "mommy takes daddy's check".

    ReplyDelete