Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Finding my Zen Place

After this afternoon, I have come to the realization that I need to be able to find my zen place when rushing about in my car. First of all, can I ask a very simple question? What is the deal with Wednesdays? What makes that day so wildly attractive that every activity seemingly is scheduled for Wednesday? Anyways, I think I have mentioned previously that my son has a class on Wednesdays from 4:00 pm. - 5:15 p.m. Recently, my daughter asked if she could take the same soccer class that my son took when he was her age. My daughter, who besides her martial arts class has been lukewarm towards playing sports. If my daughter was asking to be outside exercising and learning how to be part of a team, I was definitely not going to say no. The only problem was that the class is on Wednesdays...from 3:30 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

So...this afternoon I climbed into my car and...picked up my son from school at 3:00 p.m. Drove to the park and soccer class at 3:30 p.m. Fairly relaxed behind the wheel during the drive. 30 minutes is more than enough time to make it to the park. At 3:45...climb back into car (with my son) and drive to his class. Not sure which way is the quickest and of course, picked the slowest route. Getting slightly more tense behind the wheel. Make it to class by 4:00 p.m. Quick good-bye and then climb back into car to head back to soccer class. Try a different route back to park. Road construction all along route...grip on steering wheel definitely tightening. Finally make it back to the park and soccer class at 4:15 p.m. Luckily class is running a few minutes long so I get to watch 15 - 20 minutes of class. After class, climb back into car (with my daughter this time) and drive back to pick up my son. By the time I pull into the parking lot, I am exhausted. It is at this moment when I realize that there is a lesson to be learned from my near coronary on the roads today. Being Type-A makes me a chronic overachiever - thus the insane scheduling. That part is obvious. But what I struggle with is reminding myself that it's okay to be a chronic overachiever as long as I am aware and mindful of the things that are out of my control (that would be traffic in this case). So, rather than become agitated driving to and fro, maybe I should learn some deep-breathing relaxation techniques for next week?

0 comments:

Post a Comment