Thursday, January 14, 2010

Fast and Easy Dinner

The first two weeks back-at-school has been crazy at best. Not only did we add basketball practice to our crowded nightly rotation, this crazy mom decided to squeeze in haircuts, dentist appointments, and some baseball practice. With so many evening activities, we've been walking in the door at night right around the time we should be finishing with dinner. Needless to say, preparing dinner has become a harried experience.

Now, being the Type A mom that I am, oh I mean, the Type A mom I am trying not to be, I keep a rough list of quick dinners for those weeknights where dinner needs to be f-a-s-t. Since it's a new year and a chance for new organization, I am actually formalizing my entire weekly planning process with weekly menu and grocery list templates. However, with our hectic schedule, I decided to start with my quick dinners.

Here is one of my favorite recipes...the bonus is that it's also super easy and super fast! You make it on the grill (no pots to wash!) and since it's summer here almost all year around, you can make it year around.

SOY-MARINATED CHICKEN THIGHS
  • 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme - half the time I make this, I have to omit this because I don't have fresh herbs on hand. It still tastes great!
  • 8 (2 ounce) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • cooking spray
  1. Combine first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; seal. Marinate in refrigerator 4 hours or up to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
  2. Prepare grill to medium-high heat
  3. Remove chicken from bag; discard marinade. Place chicken on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 3 minutes on each side or until done.
All you need to do when you walk in the door is turn on the grill and grab the ziploc bag out of the fridge. You can throw together a quick salad or microwave some frozen veggies in the time it takes to grill the chicken. And to take advantage of the grill that's already hot, you can throw some flatbread on the grill for another minute. Quick dinner in about 10 minutes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment