Thursday, October 22, 2009

"Bad" Words

Do you ever have one of those conversation with your kids that starts out innocently enough and quickly goes downhill? I had one of those tonight. My kids and I were watching Game 5 of the Yankees/Angels series when I happened to utter under my breath, "He's pissed." Oops, right?

My perceptive son immediately asks me, "What mommy?"
"Oh sorry. Mommy said a bad word that I shouldn't have said."
"That's ok mommy. I know all the bad words." Uh-oh, here we go.
Then his younger sister chimes in with, "Me too mommy. He told me." Well, of course he did.

My son then proceeds to tell me that he knows the "B-word, S-word, D-word,"and even an "H-word." At this point I am screaming in my head "Seriously?!". Where did he learn these words? Curiosity got the better of me.

"Where did you hear all these words sweetie?"
"I just know them. Like the S-word" At this point he tries to mouth the word to me. I cannot really make out the word and I think it might even have an extra syllable.
"It's ok sweetheart. You can say it out loud."
I brace myself as he whispers, "stupid" in a quiet voice.
Oh! That S-word.
From there we go through the rest of the words and this is what I came away with:
S-word - stupid
B-word - butt
the elusive H-word - hate

Lastly, my son asks, "What about the D-word? I hear some people say it at school."
I hesitate, but ask, "What do they say?"
"Darnit."
"Well, I guess that one is ok."
And of course my daughter immediately chimes in with, "What about the other D-word damnit, mommy?"
"No, absolutely not that one!"
"But I have heard you say it, " argues my son.
"Time for bed!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment